Thursday, 24 April 2014

Finished Shirt Toile - First Ever Design Turned Into An Actual Garment!


Well, when I say finished, another back piece needs to be added to the other side... But still... I can count this as finished right?
For a while in our pattern cutting class now we've been working on making pattern pieces, and then cutting them out in calico and constructing our toiles. I'm quite slow at doing all this, I do everything slowly (it irritates me sometimes) so I'm a little behind everyone else in the class. Today though I finally managed to reach a point where I'm more or less up to date with the rest of the class. 

I found making my toile very difficult, sewing isn't my strong point, and it didn't help that I was very unclear in my mind as to how I would actually make what I'd designed. Luckily I didn't have to work it out completely on my own, and I was guided by the teachers on the best methods to use to create my shirt. I think there's a lot I need to improve on, I definitely want my final shirt to look a lot better and more well constructed. The shape of the peplum and cuffs are what I feel needs the most improvement, as they one of the main focus points of the garment and I've managed to make them look a little misshaped. A lot of the end parts of the peplum are more pointed when I want them to be curved, same goes for the cuffs. I'm hoping this is something I can easily rectify when it comes to putting together my final version. What I like most about my toile are the wings on the back. I think they're really well done and have the perfect curved shape at the end, just how I wanted. I also really like how they wrap round the shoulder slightly, I think that's a nice touch and is just how I pictured it whilst I was working on my illustrations. I also really like (and am surprised by) how good the wings look from the back. I hope I can make them as good as this, if not better, on my final piece.

Now all I have to do is draw out my best patterns, decide which pieces I want in black fabric and which in white, do my lay plan, complete my whole technical file and make the final shirt (and I still have work in my fashion illustration and marketing lessons to finish). Yeah... I have a feeling I'm going to be very busy in the upcoming weeks!